How to set-up a Home Network:
|IP Settings: |
- Click Start and choose Control Panel
- Click Network and Internet Connections
- Choose Network Connections
- Right-click the Local Area Connection and choose Properties
- Select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and click the Properties button
- Tick: Obtain an IP address automatically and Obtain DNS server address automatically
- Click OK to close the box, then OK on the next to apply the setting.
- Configure the workgroup settings per the next section.
|Note: If you have a My Network Places icon somewhere, you can right-click it and choose properties in substitution of the first three steps |
|Workgroup and Computer Name Settings: |
- Click Start then right-click My Computer and choose Properties.
(This can be done if you have the icon on your desktop also)
- Choose the Computer Name tab and click the Change button
- Under Member of: tick the Workgroup option and type in a network name, or leave it as the default.
(Keep in mind, for your computers to see each other on the network, the workgroup names must all be identical)
- Click OK to apply the settings, then OK again to close the remaining box.
- You're Finished!